The mine inspections will be happening this week (1st – 4th April). We’ve revised the original plan a little as follows:
- Monday: Fish Caves & Rhiwbach
- Tuesday: Cwmorthin
- Wednesday: Wrysgan & Bwlch y Plwm
- Thursday: Minllyn & Gaewern (hopefully)
There’s opportunities during the week to accompany the mine engineer which can be incredibly insightful, however places are limited. If you’re keen please get in touch via the email addresses sent out with the itinerary to those registered to receive the reports, or to me directly.
Note that on Monday the 1st of April the code to Rhiwbach will be changed. This is likely to happen in the afternoon. If you’re planning a trip into the mine please check with whoever’s registered to receive the updates for the mines for the new code.
This years inspections are programmed to start the 1st of April. The programme as it stands is as follows (although may change at short notice);
- Monday 1st April: Minllyn & Gaerwern
- Tuesday 2nd April: Cwmorthin
- Wednesday 3rd April: Rhiwbach & Bwlch y Plwm
- Thursday 4th April: Rhiwbach & Fish Caves
There’s a small number of places available to accompany the mines engineer during the inspections. If you’d like to observe the inspections please get in touch
Apologies if you’ve just had your facebook news feed bombarded with posts from the mines website. I’ve just done a little tidying up so it should be easier for people to find information about specific mines quickly (there’s a drop down menu on the right hand side side bar).
If you’re aware of any changes to the access for the mines please let me know so I can keep these pages current.
Happy New Year all,
We’re planning another get together for those that use the mines. The meeting will kick off at Oaklands OEC from 10am on the 1st of February. All users are welcome.
A draft agenda is here:
Friday, 1stof February 2019
Following previous years gatherings, we’ve arranged another opportunity for those working within the mines to get together, discuss any hot topics, concerns and find out about on-going projects and issues.
- 10am Welcome/Introductions
- Update from CAL (Cave Access Ltd) who are manage access to some of the mines owned by National Resources Wales (previously the Forestry Commission)
- Changes to Gaewern & Aberllefenni
- Any changes/concerns
- Mine Inspections for this year (likely to be April 2019, TBC)
- Any new sites?
- Venues: Wrysgan, Bwlch y Plwm, Cwmorthin, Rhiwbach, Fishcaves, Minllyn, Gaewern? & Aberllefenni?
- Any additional sites people would like to have inspected?
I’d hope we could rattle through this lot in a few hours, hope you can make it. Directions to Oaklands can be found here: http://oaklands-centre.co.uk/index.php/contact-us/how-to-find-us/
Hi Gethin hope your well. You may have noticed that the bottom left of the short incline on the walk to Rhiwbach has recently deterioted. The loose rocks and debris there is now gone as of today. I removed it (well pushed it all off). As it was, it was a hazard, as someone might of accidentally stepped on it and come of badly. Just letting you know in case you want to tell people in case they panic its falling down on its own. Andy
Just a quick heads up that there’s some work going on on the footpaths around Rhiwbach over the next 3 weeks (so into early Sept). Access along the footpaths will remain, however there will be heavy(ish) machinery moving up and down the paths so please be aware and considerate!